Thursday, October 13, 2011

Overcoming My Half Guard Mental Block and Girls in Gis this Sunday

"It's official: I'm half guard stupid."  That's what Megan was blogging about over at Tangled Triangle.  Well Megan, me too!  We did a drill last night where we started from half guard.  The second it came out of their mouths, I'm sure I had this deer in the headlights look or worse.  Coach had to come over and talk me down from the ledge and show me some stuff to try.  I have a complete mental block about what to do when I have people trapped half guard.  The kicker is that I often catch people in half guard (it's hard to get past my little short legs) but I go blank once I get you there.  I know we've worked several different half guard sweeps in class, but alas, they have left my brain.  So today I'm going to immerse myself in some YouTube videos.  Other Coach suggested to my teenage daughter to look up Jeff Glover, deep half guard.  The reverse is not true however, I am very adept at escaping from half guard (again, it's those little short legs, hard to keep them trapped).  This is nice to be actually blogging about technique.  Very nice indeed!

If you haven't heard already, there's another Girls in Gis at Revolution Dojo in Katy, Texas on Sunday, October 16th from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.  Women and girls of all ages are welcome.  If you've ever wanted to give jiu jitsu a try, this is the perfect place to do it.  Check out Combat Sports Review blog post about the event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment