Monday, May 30, 2011

It Takes a Family


I've been thinking a lot lately about my obsession with training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  Being a wife and a mother and working full time requires a lot of preparation on my part to train.  It takes staying up late and washing gis and packing gym bags and making sure my protein cups are washed and ready for the next day.  It takes me eating right and drinking lots of water to ensure that I have a good training session.  It takes me being mentally prepared to step on the mat.

Enough about me, though.  What it really takes is my family.  It takes their support of my obsession.  It takes them sacrificing their time to be at the gym instead of at home.  They sacrifice precious time with me so I can be at the gym instead of at home with them.  It means their Dad or Maw Maw is taking them places at night instead of me, because I have to be at the gym to train.  They love me unconditionally, so they let me do this thing I love.  They don't understand it, well maybe a little bit, but they support me nonetheless.   I can't make them love it as much as I do, no matter how hard I try...and trust me...I've tried!!  My kids do enjoy training BJJ, but they are not obsessed like me.  Maybe it's because I started so late in the game and I feel like I have a lot to catching up to do.  As far as the husband is concerned, he has absolutely no interest in training (he does not want to be up close and personal with sweaty guys).   But you know what, he absolutely loves the fact that I love to train.  He is proud of my accomplishments and he supports me in this love affair I have with BJJ.  Let us not forget my Mom (a.k.a. Maw Maw).  She brings my kids to class when I can't get home in time and when my husband worked evenings.  She has  sat many hours in the gym waiting for my kids to finish to take them home while I stayed to train. 

To my family I would like to say "THANK YOU" from the bottom of my heart.  For Mrs. Ibarra, it takes a family to train BJJ - a family's love and patience and sacrifice and understanding.  So, for the rest of you out there who love to train BJJ, what does it take??

1 comment:

  1. I admire your family, and I have been wanting to tell you for a long time that you and your family mean a lot to me. For me, it takes sacrifice as well - sacrificing hours at home, sacricing comfort, sacrificing rest - for the sake of the sport. I long to have the kind of support you talk about in your post, but I feel like my Elite family supports me, and that means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete