Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Break Adventures

Last week was Spring Break and I went on a family vacation.  My husband loves the Texas Hill Country and we wanted to go climb Enchanted Rock.  The last time we did this was in 2007.  I was very, very out of shape then. I was hurting all the time, everywhere.  The climb was extremely difficult for me.  I had to keep stopping and resting during the climb.  I thought I wasn’t going to be able to make it to the summit.  My husband helped me up most of the way.  This climb was so very different from that one.  It’s still a tough climb, but nothing I couldn’t handle.  This time I had to keep reminding my husband that I’m not that girl anymore…that girl from 2007.  It’s nice that he wants to take care of me, I actually love that about him, but I want him to see the strong person I’ve become.  I know he will in time.
The kids didn't have any trouble hiking up Enchanted Rock (you can see it in the background)!
It's about 475' to the summit. 
I climbed Enchanted Rock in my new Vibram Five Fingers.  They are pretty amazing. 
I heard this Tim McGraw song for the first time today called “Better Than I Used to Be”.  The lyrics really spoke to me, to my life, to my journey, to my jiu jitsu.  We are all a work in progress.  We are all imperfect and we all need a little help.  Thank goodness that I learned I don’t have to be who I was.  My journey’s just beginning and I will get better and I appreciate the fact that I am “better than I used to be”.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Congratulations. That must feel great. Looks like you spent Spring Break productively. : )

    ReplyDelete