Tuesday, September 11, 2012

They say time heals everything...I'm still waiting

I’m missing my Dad today.  While most of the world was watching in horror at the events as they unfolded on 9/11/2001, my Dad was in the last stages of his fight with cancer.  It was a tough day already, we were exhausted on every front…mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually…and then 9/11 happened.  I couldn’t tell you much about that day, or the days that followed.  My Dad lived only 16 more days after that and we were focused on taking care of him and we were grieving.  It had been a long battle with cancer, brutal on the body and soul, he fought hard, but he didn’t win.  I wouldn’t say that I was a Daddy’s girl, but I would say that my Dad and me were kindred spirits.  We had similar feelings about life and love and people and second chances.  He always gave people second chances.  He felt people were always worth another try.  He always saw the good in people, until they showed him otherwise.  I’m sort of like that…maybe a bit more cynical that he was…but I do tend to see the good in people, unless they show me otherwise.  He was my sounding board when things were sucky at work, when I was having a difficult time with people.  He always gave me good advice.  Always be on time.  Do your best.  Work hard.  Be dependable.  And my favorite, don’t burn your bridges with someone…one day they might be your boss (oh Dad, if you only knew).  Well today I was wishing he was here to be my sounding board, but he’s not.  And all day I get reminded what a horrible day 9/11/2001 was.  Trust me, I will never forget. 

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss, Debra. Your dad sounds like he was a wonderfully compassionate, good man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I lost my Dad to cancer as well. I am watching the Cowboy game, wishing I could pick up the phone and listen to him coach from his favorite chair. We were/are big Cowboys fans and would talk after the game. It gets tough sometimes after the game waiting for that phone call, that never comes. Big hug to you Mrs. Debra.

    ReplyDelete