Friday, June 10, 2011

What a Difference a Year Makes


First, thanks for all the hugs!  They were just what I needed.  I may not be "feeling it" right now, but my game is improving, one little tiny baby step at a time.  I have to be reminded sometimes about how far I've come since I started.  Tomorrow will be one year since I first stepped on the mat to "try" jiu jitsu in the women's only class.  Little did I know that I would be completely and utterly in love with this sport twelve months later.  I can remember thinking during that first class that I would never, ever understand how to do an armbar.  I never dreamed that I could make it through the adult class warmups and still be standing.  I didn't think that I would ever learn anything as fantastic or amazing as a "BREAD AND BUTTER CHOKE"!!  If you train with me you know that it is my favorite choke and if you roll with me I will at least attempt it on you once!!  There have been many ups and downs in this last year.  I have felt beat up and bruised and exhilarated and empowered all at the same time.  If you love this sport, you know that feeling.  So, I think that it is appropriate, in celebration of my one year anniversary with BJJ, I am traveling with my friend and my daughter to the Leticia Ribeiro Seminar for Women in Austin, Texas.  I am so excited I can't hardly sit still today.  We get to be on the mat with ladies who are black belts and brown belts and purple belts and blue belts and white belts (OH MY!).  I will be taking notes and lots of pictures to share with everyone next week.  Until then...Tchau!! :)

2 comments:

  1. What great words. And what a great way to celebrate your one year anniversary of BJJ. And what a great Mother and friend you are to your daughter. When is your next competition?

    Dag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dagney! I've been training for a really small tournament on June 18th as well as my daughter. By the way, the Leticia Ribeiro seminar was awesome! We had never been to a seminar before and had no idea what to expect. We were totally blown away. 3 1/2 hours of instruction and working technique. It was well worth the 600+ miles I drove in one day.

    ReplyDelete