Friday, September 2, 2011

Competition in my Future and Counting my Blessings

I have just about convinced myself to compete again.  There's a Fight 2 Win tournament in Austin on September 24th.  It's followed by a Girls in Gis event the next day.  If I do both it really makes the road trip worthwhile.  I'm trying to not let that little voice wreak havoc in my head.  I'm just going to charge forward and train as hard as I possibly can.  I will say that at least I don't have the added pressure of cutting weight...I will be a women's heavyweight for a very long time...too many pounds to lose and I lose weight slower than any person on the planet (or so it seems).  Plus, my friend and partner in crime has just informed me that she can make the road trip with me so now I feel like I will have a good support system around me.  The hubby is already in and my daughter will most likely go.  The daughter is a necessity because for some reason she has the most awesome powers to calm and center my energy.  I wish she had the time to get ready to compete at this tournament.  I really want to see her compete again soon.  Not much longer and she will no longer be in the teen division but in the women's division with me.  

Now the big decision...gi, no gi, both gi and no gi??  My first tournament was gi only.  We don't get to train no gi that much at my gym so I'm a little hesitant to sign up for it.  But, I have to say that I have this fascination with no gi.  The little bit I've done feels really amazing...I feel lighter and faster and not so constricted.  For now I am going to be on the fence about that one.  I will talk it over with my coaches a little bit and see what they think.  I know I'm a little bit slow, and no gi can be a fast game, but there's just something about it that draws me in.  For now I'm going to concentrate on tweaking what I do best, working my game plan like a mad woman and trying to increase my cardio.  It's a challenge, but I know that I am up to it.  I never participated in sports as a kid (I was a bit of a book worm), so when I trained for my first competition it was a rush.  The stakes are higher, so your training has to be harder and faster and you have to push yourself and your coaches and partners have to push you harder than you've ever been pushed.  They have to break you down on the mat during training, so you won't break down on the mat during competition.  The training was exhilarating.  It was like nothing I had ever experienced before.  I felt more alive than I can ever remember.  I am ready for that feeling again.   

I hope this post finds everyone at a good place on the mat and in life.  I've had an amazing few weeks and I am really counting my blessings.  I am thankful for my family and my friends and my wonderful extended jiu jitsu family.  Tonight my family will celebrate my baby sister's "40th" birthday.  Happy Birthday Kathy, I love you!  We will remember my Daddy whose birthday was also the same day as my baby sister.  He would have been 67 today.  I do miss that man terribly and I know that he would be completely stoked about my whole jiu jitsu journey...he was kind of a weird duck like me!!  So don't forget to stop and smell the roses and count your blessings.  Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment