Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Revenge of the Band Nerds

I should never have even said the words.  I always jinx myself.  The second I even utter the word "tournament", it's like Murphy's Law takes over my life.  I have been so busy with kid stuff and work stuff and now I'm coming down with something.  Everyone at my house has been sick for weeks except for me.  Now I have a sore throat and I feel yucky.  I'll dose up on Vitamin C and fluids and Ibuprofen and see how it goes.  This all means that my training schedule has not been up to par with what it needs to be if I'm going to compete on the 24th.  I really want to do this tournament so I can see where I'm at in my game.  I really want to see if I can push myself to another level.  I will see how the next two weeks go.  I may just relax and go with the flow.  Maybe that's a better approach for me anyway. 

I am proud to report that my daughter is one cute little band nerd.  I have to say I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of being one of those "band" parents, but I am quite enjoying watching her march with her little clarinet.  Those band kids sure know how to have fun at the football games.  I don't want to forget to mention the fact that my husband was a football jock and he was even less thrilled, plus he went to the rival high school and was not looking forward to sporting a band parent shirt from the "enemy"!  Revenge is sweet!!

I have dubbed my son, "Band Nerd #2".  It's official, we are one big happy band nerd family.  He started junior high band and is playing the saxophone.  He absolutely loves it, and according to him it's a "sexy" instrument and he will get a lot of girlfriends.  We'll see about that!!  So all this band stuff is taking up a lot of my time and it tends to encroach on the training schedule.  It won't last forever, football season will be over before I know it, but wait, then there's UIL and spring concerts and All City and All Region and...You get the idea, it kind of never ends.  But I wouldn't change it for the world because it's something my kids love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment