Thursday, July 12, 2012

Back on the Mats after Vacation!

I am having a great week back on the mats after being off last week for family vacation.  Had fun, got very sunburned, went on a ghost tour and thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with the family and good friends.  Emily and I got our first tiny little taste of CrossFit on Monday and we loved it.  We are both sore still after three days, but it was worth it.  I had an intense Muay Thai kickboxing class on Tuesday and pushed myself a little bit out of my comfort zone, thanks to a good coach and good training partners.  Emily and I went to jiu jitsu class last night and we worked guard passes, high and low.  Really, really, good stuff.  I am really concentrating on keeping an open mind and just doing what the coaches tell me to do.  Even if it's not perfect, I'm still going to do it to the best of my ability.  I am enjoying my new routine at the new gym, and Emily has discovered a new passion for Muay Thai.  I am meeting new people and finding a community that embraces a healthy, active lifestyle.  I really think it's important to surround yourself with people that are on the same page.  I find that I'm tempted less and work harder to reach my goals.  Right now, I am working hard to make small, measurable changes in my nutrition habits.  No grains - check; no potatoes - check;  no pasta - that's my goals for this week, so far so good.  I am staying away from refined sugar and Dr. Peppers (allowing myself 1-2 on the weekends only - remember, baby steps, I will most likely wean myself off them entirely, but that's the subject for another post entirely).  So far, so good.  I am really, really trying to eat more veggies.  It's not always easy, but it's a lifestyle change I'm determined to make...one tiny little baby step at a time. 

I almost forgot, had a great time at Leticia's Women's Only Grappling Camp on July 1st.  It was a great way to start my vacation.  Went for one day only, which was no-gi.  Had a blast, learned some new stuff and bonded with my jiu jitsu sisters.  Next year, I am making it a priority to go all three days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment