Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Eyes Wide Shut

My friend Conor Hogan posted the following last night after training.  Flow rolling with your eyes closed...I have to say that I am absolutely intrigued.  Thanks for sharing Conor.  I will see you on the mats soon (with my eyes closed)!! :D

"For my BJJ friends:  I want all of you to try slow rolling (50%) with your eyes closed sometime.  It sounds stupid, but it is really incredible.  I forgot how or why I started doing this, but it came at a point where I had been plateaued as an early blue belt.  My game opened up SO much after that.  The lack of visual stimulation and the "submission/pass anxiety" that comes with it lets you relax on focus on flowing with the roll.  You'll feel grips immediately, and your spacial awareness increased 20-fold.  If someone takes your back, oh well.  Work on escaping (with your eyes closed!)  There's no reason to not want to work on a particular aspect of your game.  Come shout at me after class if you want to try it out without having to subject yourself during BJJ class.  It might just be that extra push in the right direction that you need to reach the next level."

If you have things you've done to improve your BJJ game, please share.  This is a very interesting concept, and I am anxious to give it a try.  I am also curious about those that are hearing impaired.  Sound is a big distraction for me, so I would be curious what it's like to roll without all the noise.  Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.  Wishing everyone a week filled with great training!

No comments:

Post a Comment