Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Texas Open Afterthoughts

I’ve been spending some time processing my thoughts since the Texas Open.  I feel very good about how I did.  I didn’t win my match, but my victory was not in getting the submission or coming home with a medal, it was me overcoming my fears.  So, for that moment in time...I won!  My goal with this tournament was different than most.  I just wanted to have fun.  I wanted to quiet that little voice and just live in the moment.  SUCCESS!!  I didn’t listen to that little voice.  I smiled, a lot.  I had fun!  Added bonus, I got to meet some of my fellow lady BJJ Facebook friends in person…pretty cool!  Best of all, I got to watch jiu jitsu all day…now that’s my idea of a great Saturday!
I just want to give a huge shout out to the women’s jiu jitsu community that was there.  You ladies are awesome beyond words.  We are at all different skill levels and different ages and all have very different styles…but we share one thing…we all love jiu jitsu.  It’s amazing how we can go for the kill on the mat one minute and then stand up and hug afterwards.  Yea, it’s pretty freaking awesome.  And that girl we just lost to, we are cheering her on in her next match, hoping and praying she does well, and we are proud when she wins! 
So what does the future hold for Mrs. Ibarra after her second tournament experience?  I’m going to keep on training as much as my crazy life allows.  I’m going to keep tweaking my game, improving my cardio, and yes, I am going to try to lose weight.  I am tired of being the only heavyweight woman at these tournaments.  I am 44 years old and I feel pretty darn good about being able to keep up with these young girls on the mat (but if I had 30 less pounds to carry around I’m sure I could keep up even better).  So, I’m relishing the small victories and looking forward to competing again in 2012.  I can’t wait to see all of you ladies on the mats again real soon!  Who’s with me?? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment