Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rock On!!

I have an acupuncture session after work and then I will be training jiu jitsu this evening…it’s going to be a good night!  I finally got back on the mats Monday after two weeks of being sick and it felt pretty amazing.  I baby-stepped through a real phobia (backwards rolls) and I actually did some live rolling.  I felt encouraged and supported by my coaches and my teammates.  It was one of those nights…a reaffirmation of why I love the sport.  It’s not in the submissions or the chokes or how much you dominated on the mats…it’s about that family of people who believe in you and encourage you and push you to be the very best you can be.  That’s what keeps me coming back for more.  I am slowly coming to a place where I can accept my limitations, and I realize that it is okay to walk as slow as I need to through this journey.  My progress might be slow, but it doesn’t mean that I wasn’t meant to do this sport.  I’ve seen several posts lately where people in their 60’s and 70’s have gotten their black belts in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  It reinforces what I have felt all along…I CAN DO THIS!  It is never too late!  You are never too old!!  Go here and read this article…Old Guys Rule.   This is for all you guys and gals out there who started later in life and are still rocking the mats after 40…ROCK ON!!

2 comments:

  1. My Jiu-Jitsu instructor, Conan, also started late in life, and he's now 48. One thing I've learned from him is that you can't try to beat the young'uns at their own game, you have to develop a style that works for whatever your personal limitations are.

    Sometimes I feel like I wasn't "meant" to do Jiu-Jitsu, or that I don't "deserve" to do it, but it's not because I'm 42, it's because I feel like I'm Jiu-Jitsu dyslexic ;)

    Jiu-Jitsu for me is really about overcoming obstacles, and no one is ever too old for that. My progress may be slow, but I overcome something almost every time I step on the mat, and that's what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya..I wish I had started earlier, but I'm gonna keep going until I can't! I'll be 36 in April and I must say with the support of a great training partners..I adapt everything to suit my style and limitations (i have a hip replacement) and it never gets old! Keep rolling!

    ReplyDelete